Thursday, May 20, 2010

HumaPro...Mamma Always Said...

ALRI has unveiled another innovation in the fitness industry. HumaPro is their newest protein and the only protein on the market designed to mimic human milk. Anyone who knows me, knows I am against dairy. I have always been against promoting the only species (us) who drinks another mammals milk (cows). I have never wanted to develop like a cow so I have never understood drinking the very thing that nurses calf's, but I digress (if I don't move on, I may never get off this introduction).

ALRI wondered the same thing but took it a step further. The protein supplements we are bombarded with in the fitness industry are components of milk: whey and casein. ALRI did the research to find out the differences between cow and human milk (and there are several).

Cow milk is about 80% casein and 20% whey. Human milk starts off about 40% casein and 60% whey and as the baby grows, breast milk proteins change until the ratio is about 50/50.

They whey in human milk is predominantly alpha-lactalbumin while the whey in cow milk is dominate in beta-lactoglobulin. ALRI reported: "Whereas alpha-lactalbumin has been studied well for validation associated with increased immune factors to disease, allergies, increased mineral absorption and growth factors specific to humans, beta-lactoglobulin has been associated with the exact opposite."


Pretty interesting information if you as me...you didn't but you are still reading :) So if human and cow's milk is fundamentally different to produce separate actions in the receiving system, why are we consuming the ingredients to build a cow?

I haven't tried it yet (it just came available to distributors yesterday), but I will be. It could change the game...ohhh did I mention ALRI says HumaPro has a calorie of 0.4 per gram (traditional protein has 4 calories/gram). So you can get better protein, none of the side effects and consume fewer calories in the process? Too good to be true? We'll see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment